Our and Theirs
[ 11:29 ]
my mother was commenting on something in the news today. She said something about Taiwan assassinating one of our people. Note the word, 'our'. Does it matter whether it's our people, a Singaporean, I assume, or a Taiwanese, one of
their people. [please note the mocking tone I'm adopting here.] What's the bloody difference?! [Yes, there's a pun in there.] Shouldn't she have be lamenting over the fact that someone was killed, and not because that someone was one of
our people? Does it means that if it were one of
their people, she wouldn't feel the same intensity of pain?
Beneath the politics and personalities and opinions and everything, it all boils down to a fact: we belong to the same species, we are all humans. To quote Shakespeare,
if you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? Granted, that quote is taken out of context, but what I mean is the same thing.
Hopefully that there will no longer be anything like 'our' or 'their' people. This kind of separation is just plain baseless.
Labels: people, random