Whisper to me the Wind's Name
[ 12:26 ]

I've finished the 600 plus paged book by Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind. Brilliant first book that has kept me captivated during class, hence I barely acknowledged my teachers as they lectured on and on. I didn't read at home though, as my attention was entirely taken up by my computer. Ah well. My biggest weakness: Internet junkie.
Kvothe was an endearing character, I laughed in triumph as he bested his 'enemies', the snobbish Ambrose, and high handed Master Homme. Rejoiced with him when his brilliance was recognized; his entrance into the University at such a tender age, his talent with the lute which earned him an income and the rarely given talent pipes. I got frustrated when things weren't looking his way, getting angry for him when he was bullied, especially when he was still in Tarbean. Though I did quite snickered at his failure in his love life as Denna left over and over again, only to return to him with some other man in tow.
Indeed, all the characters are well developed and very realistic. Though I kind of felt that Kvothe was too powerful... as in sort of like God modding or something to that effect. However, what was truly great about this was the details. The author has put in a lot of effort and heart explaining how everything magical works. In fact, it isn't exactly magic anymore, more of science and alchemy, like Full Metal Alchemist, only with more complications and less flashiness. Although I cannot say that this book is totally original; there were quite a few predictable parts and all that, but everything flows together so smoothly and so harmoniously that I can't find it in me to care.
This is probably one of the greatest fantasy book to hit the stores, for someone as jaded as I am. I used to love the fantasy genre, but it has recently gotten stale for me, with all the cliche and overrated books out in the market. This however was different, I regained my love for fantasy once more. In fact, I even ditched the last Harry Potter book for this. And I had no regrets, Harry Potter... as compared is simply too childish, too 'light'.
A stunning debut and magnificent read, I'm looking forward for the next book in his Kingkiller trilogy.
Labels: freetalk, rant, writing