Movies, A Brief Glance
[ 23:42 ]
I have been watching tons of movies lately, be it on the big screen or online. So much that my mother has been mentioning about it. Hey, it's not like I still have
homework to do or something, right? It's my holidays, so that should mean that I am free of all obligations and should be
allowed a gun to shoot off idiots dead spending my time however I want.
Anyway, the two latest movies I watched were
I AM LEGEND and
WARLORDS. (abusing the caps lock is actually quite fun. So is the bold function)
If you had read the book that I AM LEGEND was based on, one would notice that like all book-to-movie productions, A LOT of... artistic license? was made used of in the films. Ah well, perhaps, the movie was much happier as compared to the book.
Will Smith was seriously brilliant, he managed to bring across what the last person on earth might have felt through the way he acts, and the things he does. Placing mannequins in strategic locations, he pretends they are real, actual people, and holds one-sided conversation with them. How can you not feel sorry for him? And the fact that he is still strong mentally, and has not (a) gone all bonkers and deluded. (b) not joined the vampires, even if he seriously cannot be infected (c) say 'to hell with it all' and kill himself off. Instead, he experiments and lab rats, trying to find a cure for the infected people, even though they certainly do not appreciate the help that he's trying to give. I mean... if it was me, I would have killed them all off, if possible... or die in the process. I certainly wouldn't want to help these ungrateful creatures.
The effects were great, even though it was too loud sometimes, that I actually edged back even though that isn't possible due to the seats, and covered my ears. Which would be embarrassing if other movie-goers saw me like that.
The creatures were gruesome, with horrendously distorted features and non-functioning vocal cords since all they're able to do is to howl and make noises. I refuse to label them as vampires because vampires are, in my opinion, gorgeous creatures of elegance that make use of seduction and mind tricks to get their desires.
I felt that the part where the dog got infected was the saddest, imagine yourself having to kill your last and only companion that you know surviving out there... it's... really painful because you know that without this friend, things are just going to seem bleaker and you have more time on your hands without someone occupying your attention. And that added time would mean... more time to lose your mind with.
Food for thought: Why didn't Robert Neville in the movie just... burned all those vampires during the daytime? I mean, he could have searched for their lair, and burn down the entire building... and if he did want to save some... why couldn't he just... drugged them all out like that one female vampire in which became his test subject... unwillingly?
The WARLORDS movie was... well, I don't really know why they bothered rating it as a NC-16 movie, because frankly, whatever that counts as blood and gore are just plain laughable. (rolls eyes) Worst scenes actually happened in animes, so yeah. Not gory at all.
Anyway, the show's theme was all about brotherhood and... more brotherhood. I was sort of bored most of the time and well... the show is just too cliched for words. Seriously... and I felt that the little romance thing they tried to input was just plain lame. I would rather not have that ridiculous romance affair. Er Hu (Andy Lau) was the most... erm... honorable character, and because he was too much of a wild card, the imperial court who hated such people, used Pang's (Jet Li) hand to kill him off. Which than led to Wu Yang's (Takeshi Kaneshiro) misunderstanding so he killed off the woman and when he found out that Er Hu still died, he went to kill Pang. However, while he did stab at his sworn brother, the imperial court already sent their own men to assassinate him because Pang was still an outsider, no matter how glory he had helped them achieve.
Anyway, to me, it's a sort of show that would have its conflict resolved more... smoothly if the three main characters would just sit down and hash it all out. And maybe, only the woman needed to die. For trying to spoil their brotherhood.
Labels: movie