Where Are the Miracles?
[ 21:46 ]
I read
this post over at Primordial blog, and I sort of remembered something that I read from a book when I was at Kino, a few days back.
A young man speaks to the priest, in hopes to seek the presence of the Goddess. The priest advises him to pray and meditate in order to achieve his goal.
He follows the priest's instructions and bows his head obediently. He thinks to himself,
"Oh Goddess, let me hear you so as to follow your path." Above him, the sky rumbles as thunder resounded loudly. The young man dismisses it as merely noise and continues praying, hurt that his pleads were not answered.
And so he prays,
"Oh Goddess, let me taste your powers as you render the earth to your will." Rain pelted him from the clouds but he ignored the droplets, brushing them away irritatedly.
He prays again,
"Oh Goddess, won't you let me see you?" And next to him, a tiny egg cracks open and a small beak pops out, breaking the shell further as it makes its way out into the world. Yet, the young man takes no notice, so blinded is he to the world.
The young man tries again,
"Goddess, won't you touch me and show me your presence?" Just this moment, a butterfly rests against his hand, perching delicately. But once again, the young man cared not, for this beautiful creature, and swatted his hand to shoo it away.
Feeling that the entire day was a wasted experience, the young man goes back to the priest. "I have mediated and prayed for long, yet I have seen no sign of the Goddess."
The priest looks at him with just a hint of pity in his eyes, "Child, you have been an unseeing fool. Did you not hear and feel the power of the Goddess through the rain, showering the earth with the essence of life? Did you not see a miracle that unfolded before you as the chick begins its life? And the butterfly that you swatted away, was it not the Goddess that caressed you so gently? Miracles, no matter how small, are miracles. If you look, you will see the Goddess' hand in so much and more."
After reading this, I feel that this is a sort of wake up call for me. My own gift from the Goddess? Maybe. Perhaps it is time that I do more instead of skipping rituals for selfish reasons.
Labels: life, wicca