Unexpected
[ 23:23 ]
I was sort of planning to rot away at home before the computer, as my previous plans had fallen through. I was supposed to go christmas shopping with my cousin, who because of her over protectiveness as a mother, could not leave her son's side for he was ill and she didn't trust her husband to take care of him properly. [phew, run-on line] And since I had declined Aishah's previous offer of going out to Escape, there wasn't really anything for me to do. Until Kimberley asked me if I wanted to go out. Hence, we decided to go get our ears pierced.
We sort of asked around, on where to get the deed done, but few could answer. My mother couldn't give much helpful information as hers was done by her own mother, with a needle cleansed with a flame and lots and lots of alcohol.
That must be painful. ]
Anyway, we headed to Orchard in the end, and finally had it done by a jewellery shop. It cost me like $80, for titanium earrings and 2 bottles of... solution. Ouch indeed, I mean, if I went to those cheapo shops, I could have gotten what, 8 earrings? Oh well. Safety first. Or so they say.
Kimberley's were much more expensive, over $100, for she had gotten white gold. Which I didn't like, I mean, gold, whenever yellow gold or white gold, doesn't really suit me.
The procedure:
[1] sit down on the stool and fill in your particulars on a form handed to you by the person in charge. if under 18, let your guardian/parent sign the form.
[2] wait patiently as the salesperson cleanse your ear with alcohol.
[3] let her spray mentholated spirit and watch as she marks your ears with a marker.
[4] watch in apprehension as she inches closer with the 'stapler thing', towards your ears.
[5] and roll your eyes when she finally pierces the ears as it barely hurt at all.
[6] mentally breathe a sigh of relief.
Look, I was really nervous about the whole ear piercing issue because several of my aunts had their ears infected and it really hurt, and I still remembered the tale that Jia Xuan told me before, about she screaming her head off. Blah. It also didn't help that I went first. And how painful is the actual piercing? Just like stapling yourself accidentally. So yeah, that mine was all painless, made me really glad.
After that, we went to watch a movie. As it was still early, so why not? We had wanted to watch Enchanted which Kimberley said it was really good for she watched it again and wanted to rewatch it. But, the earliest show was at 9, so we couldn't watch it. Instead we ended up watching
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium.
The storyline... is barely there, and the themes of the show was seriously cliche, and too overused. Although the actors are good, the movie was still quite a flop.
Dustin Hoffman was good in his role as Mr Magorium, an eccentric quirky old man who despite his age, was not jaded by the world and delights in delighting children. However, at the age of 243, he feels that his time is up, hence he decides to leave his store to Molly Mahoney, played by
Natalie Portman. I think she was really good in here, and her image reminded me of Twiggy, her short cropped hair.
Molly was shocked for she had wanted to quit her job and pursue her career in music, and tries to get Mr Magorium to stay by showing him the joys of life. Adamantly, the man still decides to depart in the end. He died. With his death, and Molly's inability to believe in herself, the store loses its color and glory and magic, and in the end, Molly decides to sell it off. However, Eric, who too works at the store despite being only 9, turns to the other worker, Henry and gets him to help. Henry then helps Molly see that the magic of the store comes from her, and gets her to believe in herself. And hence, the store was saved in the end.
Seriously, the movie was boring, for one that's geared to children. I wouldn't believe that normal children would be interested, other than those precocious and too mature kids. Right. Because Kimberley's sisters were all bored by it.
Labels: life, movie