Facades
[ 23:22 ]
I think I've lost sight of myself.
Or maybe I never did know myself in the first place.
Too many masks to wear and now,
the reflection is blurry with unshed tears.
I think I hate it the most when people say that they can't stand others that act/behave in a certain manner. To wear some sort of a mask, to behave in a particular manner, however flimsy the mask, however similar the behavior, isn't that the price we pay for society? Doesn't social graces expect us to act in a certain way in order not to embarrass ourselves and others?
People also put on masks because they don't want to reveal everything to just everyone. Aren't there aspects of your personality that you wouldn't show to random strangers? Don't you treat different people differently? It's like, you wouldn't treat your family the same way you treat people on the streets, right? The masks that one wears show how much trust they have in others. It's just a form of self protection, to be wary of others.
Personally, I wear many masks, act differently around different people, but it all boils down to the fact that I'm still who I am, snarky and sarcastic and mean and all that crap. I just show different aspects of my personality because after all, I'm a living human being and not some two dimensional character. I think the most important thing is to not lose the you behind the mask, because at the end of the day, fuck society and all that, the world can hang itself for all I care, I just want to be who I was, who I am, and who I will be.
Labels: life, musings, random